Dirt Bike Helmets are different than other types because they serve different purposes, which include protection from dust flying over your head while racing in the field. Also, it protects your eyes from the sun, provides ventilation, and has a lighter weight. These helmets are proper for coping with harsh situations while riding a bike.
Also, these helmets are costlier than other types. As they offer different features from other helmets, so they can cope with the field riding challenges. Best dirt bike helmets have a different design than the normal motorcycle ones. This guide helps you to identify the best dirt bike helmets.
What Is The Best Dirt Bike Helmet?
When you are looking for the best dirt bike helmets, you have to search for off-roading ones. These types are specifically used for all-terrain vehicles, you can use them for UTVs and ATVs. This type is stronger than the usual ones, and they will provide high energy and support in dangerous sports events. You will get additional protection which will save your head. For the best dirt bike helmets, you can consider three main types:
- Off-Road Helmet: This is the most common type when you are riding a dirt bike on the field. Professional riders use these types of goggles and helmets, which also provide better ventilation and protection.
- Full Face Helmet: You can also use a full-face helmet while riding your dirt bike. This type is typically used with motorcycles. If you are not looking for any dangerous riding sports, then this type is best. It will give protection from bugs, wind, and harsh weather as well.
- Open Face Helmet: This type of helmet is worn for motorcycle rides, but it can be used with dirt bikes as well. This covers three-quarters of your head, and your face stays exposed. Some models have visors, so you need to buy goggles if you prefer this type of protection for your head.
How Much Is A Good Dirt Bike Helmet?
A good dirt bike helmet is going to cost you anywhere from $150 – $250. The more expensive helmets are usually made of better quality material and have more features, meaning they’re safer. More high-end brands such as HJC and AGV also offer safety certifications that will be mandatory for certain competitions or tracks. However, if your budget is tight, many cheap options on the market still offer adequate protection like Bauer XSR700 at around $130 but won’t last as long because it’s not molded with an EPS liner inside its shell.
Which Type Of Dirt Bike Helmet Is Safest?
Off-road dirt bike helmets are the best. If you are into dangerous sports, then off-road helmets will provide you better protection than the others. You also have to use good quality goggles which will protect your eyes and forehead. Even if you were eyeglasses, off-road helmets will provide ultimate protection to your head and face. These are great in protecting your head and give proper support as well. Although they have glass protection at the front, you can choose sturdy goggles for better safety.
Which Head Form Fits Different Types Of Helmets?
Helmet companies make sturdy helmets but there are types of head forms to choose from. If you are looking for a helmet that suits your dirt bike requirement, you have to find a head form that protects your head. If you are into extreme sports, you need to protect your head and prevent the dirt and harsh weather. The helmet should have a multi-crash resistance capability. Dirt bike riding in the field is very dangerous, for that you need to buy a helmet that protects your head. It’s best to buy dirt bike helmets from a reliable seller. They will help you choose the best head form for any kind of activity.
How Do You Find The Perfect Dirt Bike Helmet Fit?
After you have decided the type of dirt bike helmet you need, you have to ensure that it fits perfectly. You must get the right size because if it doesn’t fit properly, it can lead you to a dangerous accident. Also, you need to feel comfortable while wearing the helmet. The human head comes in different shapes for that you have to measure your head before you purchase a helmet.
- To buy a dirt bike helmet and ensure the best fit, you have to measure your head first. Let’s check out the process.
- Place the measurement tape in the middle of your forehead. You have to begin by keeping the measuring tape about half-inch and place it above the slope of your nose. Rest the tape a bit higher than your eyebrows.
- You have to wound the measurement tape around the middle part of your head, and just above the ears. This way you will take the measure of your occipital bone.
- Lastly, you can continue wrapping the tape to the rest of your head, until the measurement tape meets the other end of it. You have to make sure the tape doesn’t get loose and stays closer to your head. It’s easier to measure your head, but it will be better if you ask your family members or friends for the best result.
- After you get the measurement, it would be ideal to compare your size with company-provided measurements. You have to check the chart to find your size. Different manufacturers have their charts, so the sizes may vary according to their helmets.
What Happens If A Helmet Is Too Big?
If the helmet is too big it can result in several issues. First of all, it will move around, and up and down on your head, when you do not want this issue. It can be noisy and will let in wind and dirt easily. Also, if you are into extreme sports, it might come off and you would get hurt. It’s always best to buy good head protection for a helmet and with that, you need a fitting thing on your head.
What If A Dirt Bike Helmet Is Too Loose?
Helmets that are too loose, will move around your head and provide discomfort all along the ride. It’s also dangerous to use a loose helmet because it can cause an accident at any time. Even if you are not into extreme sports, you can get hurt on the road. If you choose a tight fit helmet it will give pressure to your head and neck. You will feel uncomfortable wearing it, also, it will be harder to take it off.
Can A Dirt Bike Helmet Loosen Over Time?
A helmet becomes loose over time, but it will not be an issue because if you choose the right fit, it will not be problematic. However, if you frequently use the helmet, it will loosen up, and for that, you can go one size up. Try not to buy a helmet that is too tight, because it will only provide discomfort and if you are riding in the field with your dirt bike, it will suffocate you.
How Can I Make My Helmet Tighter?
Over time, the helmet becomes loose, and to fit the same on your head, you have to make it tighter. There are different solutions to get the right fit. You can add smaller cheek pads; it will tighten the helmet a bit. It will also help you take off the helmet. You can ask a reputed helmet seller for pads and they will assist you to buy the same.
Which Dirt Bike Helmet Is Safest?
Choosing the safest helmet is important. If you are interested in extreme sports with your dirt bike, you would want a helmet that will protect your head. You have to check the weight of the helmet and other things to buy the safest helmet.
- Check the weight of the helmet and make sure it’s not heavy otherwise, it will put pressure on your head and shoulders. It’s better to find a lightweight helmet that provides safety and not too heavy. You wouldn’t want to race your bike with a sore neck. Look for a helmet that is made with sturdy material yet lightweight. Search for a reliable seller for a good dirt bike helmet.
- Another important thing you have to check is the ventilation part of the helmet. If you are not racing through the snow you need the air to keep you comfortable. For dirt bike riding better ventilation is very important. It will keep the inside of your head off from sweat, and it will provide you best comfort while racing on the field.
- Look for the best helmet shape. You have to check for helmets that fit your head well. If you are buying a new one, make sure it gives comfort. Also, the look of the helmet matters. If you don’t look good wearing it, it might not be for you. Fortunately, there various choices available for dirt bike helmets.
How Long Is A Helmet’s Lifespan?
The lifespan of a helmet is 5 to 10 years, but according to experts, it’s five years. Some manufacturers will advise you to replace the helmet after seven years after its manufacturing date. Although, the industry says it should be five years.
Do Dirt Bike Helmets Break-In?
If you buy a too-tight helmet it will stay that way. But dirtbike helmets do break-in. After some time they loosen up and a break-in. However, brands have different sizes, depending on that you have to find a good dirt bike helmet.
What Are The Best Dirt Bike Goggles?
If you are fond of dirt bike racing, it’s best to choose a roll-off lens. In the case of dual-sport or trail riders, you have to look for goggles that have anti-fog features and good ventilation. If you race on a dusty road, then you should go for dense foam goggles.
Are Snowboard Goggles The Same As Motocross Goggles?
They are different in their features. Motorcross goggles have a single lens, and they don’t work well in the snow. Snow goggles provide better ventilation and prevent heat from your face. Motorcross goggles are also equipped with the same, but they are capable of preventing dust and provide good ventilation.
Make sure to buy your dirt bike equipment from a reliable seller. You will get worth for your money and better satisfaction.
If you want to learn more about the best gear for dirt bike riding, read the following articles: Dirt Bike Gear and Dirt Bike Goggles.